4 Tips For Finding The Right DUI Attorney For You
There’s no denying the fact that Arizona has the nation’s strictest laws for driving under the influence (DUI). Penalties for being caught range from overnight stays in jail to up to four (4) months in prison just for the first charge. Additional charges can result in years of prison time. That’s why selecting the right attorney to represent you is your best bet for getting the least amount of time or even having the DUI charge expunged. With that in mind, here are a few tips for making sure you hire the right DUI attorney for your needs.
- Start by finding an attorney who is certified to handle DUI cases. The best places to start are the State Bar of Arizona or the National College for DUI Defense. On both sites, you’ll be able to input details of your situation before being provided with a list of certified attorneys near you.
You can also rely upon personal recommendations of those you know who have gone through the DUI experience in the courtroom. Get as much information as you can from the person recommending the attorney, including details about the overall process and what the outcome was.
- Interview the attorney (or host of attorneys) you have in mind face-to-face. Specifically, ask about their experiences in defending DUI cases and how many they have handled successfully.
Other good questions to ask include:
- How many cases have you taken to a jury trial?
- Who will be actually handling my case and what are their qualifications?
- Is your practice covered by a policy for legal malpractice?
- Has the State Bar of Arizona ever disciplined you?
- What specific challenges do you see with my case?
- How will I be informed about the status of my case?
It’s important to conduct your interview with them in person; never over the phone. Through body language and other factors, you’ll get a much better idea of their sincerity.
- Make sure your attorney is licensed, as only a licensed attorney can represent you in court. Regardless of their answer, be sure to confirm their licensure with the State Bar site.
- Never, ever fall for false assurances. Straightforward and trustworthy attorneys will be honest about your chances of prevailing in court. If they’re telling you what – in your opinion – is merely what they think you want to hear, keep on looking.
If You’re Facing DUI Charges, Call The Professionals at The Oswalt Law Firm
It’s important to remember that while each DUI case is unique, the one constant is that those who have won in court had help from someone who thoroughly understands Arizona DUI law. Here at The Oswalt Law Firm, we’d love to talk with you about your options and possible defense strategies for your case. The first meeting is always free, so call us at (602) 225-2222.