How Did This Woman Avoid Jail Time After Drug Charges?
A woman facing a host of serious drug and weapons charges had most of them reduced after agreeing to a plea deal. Her decision negated possible prison time in favor of one year of probation. In this issue, we’ll talk about what happened in her case as well as provide information about why plea deals sometimes make sense
The Case at a Glance
The woman was arrested after police raided her apartment and found a host of contraband. They found:
- 7.1 grams of crack cocaine valued at between $946 — $1,775
- 2 bags of heroin
- A digital scale and other paraphernalia normally used by drug dealers
She was charged with:
- Possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony
- Possession of a firearm with a defaced serial number
- Illegal ownership of a firearm
- Possession of a stun gun
After agreeing to plead guilty to one count of possession of cocaine with intent to distribute, all the other charges were dropped.
Why Plea Deals Are Worth It
We’ve talked before about the fact that nearly 95% of all criminal cases never reach a jury. Instead, most are decided through plea deals. For prosecutors and defense attorneys alike, plea deals are seen as a win-win. Jail time is reduced or scrapped altogether for the defense attorney’s client and the prosecutor can save precious time and resource by not having to go through a prolonged trial. When done the right way, plea deals can lead to:
- Significant reductions in charges, fines and jail time
- Less anxiety about a maximum sentence being handed down
- The case and sentencing being resolved quickly so that everyone involved can get on with their lives
If You’re Facing Charges, Let The Oswalt Law Group Fight to Reduce Your Penalties
To navigate your way through the legal process and negotiate a plea deal which will greatly reduce your charges, you need the knowledge and advice of a skilled defense attorney. Call us here at The Oswalt Law Group for a free consultation. Our number is (602) 225-2222.