How to Recognize A Birth Injury
Every year, about 28,000 infants experience birth injuries. In this article, we’ll talk about the most common causes of birth injuries, how to recognize them and the options available to you if your child has experienced a birth injury.
BIRTH INJURIES AT A GLANCE
Simply put, birth injuries are the result of some form of action that occurred during delivery. Unlike birth defects that occur as part of the child’s natural development in the womb, birth injuries are preventable.
MOST COMMON FORMS OF BIRTH INJURIES
According to the Centers for Disease and Control, the most common forms of birth injuries are:
- Bone fractures – caused when attending physician pulls on infant too hard
- Brain injury – caused mainly by oxygen deprivation during the delivery process for a host of reasons, including failure to monitor vital signs closely, letting the child stay too long in the birth canal or umbilical cord issues
- Nerve damage – typically involves large bundle of nerves stretching from the base of neck to the shoulders and arms. Damage occurs when the baby is twisted or turned by the physician during delivery
- Asphyxia – caused by insufficient amounts of oxygen to the child during delivery
- Spinal cord injuries – in most instances, caused by improper use of instruments like forceps
SYMPTOMS OF BIRTH INJURY
If not treated immediately, birth injuries can lead to life-long disabilities and disfigurement. The good news is that, because they occur during the delivery process, birth injuries are fairly easy to recognize. Some of the telltale signs of birth injuries include:
- Sensitivity to light and noise
- Excessive drooling
- Arched back while crying
- Difficulty eating and swallowing
- Lack of muscle control
THE OSWALT LAW GROUP CAN HELP YOU
Our team of skilled attorneys are known for their expertise in helping victims of medical malpractice like birth injuries receive the compensation they’re entitled to. If your child has experienced a birth injury, we encourage you to contact the Oswalt Law Group at (602) 225-2222.